Per PITSCO, back ordered battery chargers will start to be shipped out to teams on October 15th.
Due to a UL certification issue, PITSCO has been unable to ship 12V battery chargers with the FTC Kit of Parts. Many teams have been asking for options in order to keep progressing with their build schedule.
FIRST in Michigan Approved options:
1. Wait for the replacement charger from PITSCO.
2. Find a local team (FTC or FRC) with a Tetrix battery charger you can borrow, or at least use to charge your batteries. Check the FIRST in Michigan site for FTC/FRC teams in your area.
3. Find an alternate vendor - Amazon has them in stock. Looks like it's a charger/battery combo pack, but it is a good idea to have a second battery anyway if your team budget allows for it.
Not endorsed by FIRST in Michigan:
1. Find a compatible substitute charger. The NiMH batteries in the FTC KOP are similar to batteries used for RC vehicles. Hobby shops such as Tower Hobby, Hobby Lobby, Horizon Hobby, or your local hobby store may carry a compatible substitute charger. Look for chargers that will handle 12V NiMH batteries with a charging current of 0.9 to 1.8 amps. FIRST and FIRST in Michigan are not responsible for any damages including but not limited to your robot, battery or charger. If you use an alternate charger, it is your responsibility to insure that it can be safely used with the Tetrix battery.
2. Find a replacement battery pack and matched charger. Look for a 12V NiMH battery pack with a rating of around 3000mAh (higher mAh ratings are OK, but remember that they can deliver power longer with the same load so your battery life with the Tetrix battery may be different). You may need to add an appropriate connection (Anderson Power Pole connectors work great) and a 20amp in-line fuse for use with your robot. This will allow you to practice, but for competitions you will need to use the standard Tetrix battery pack.
FIRST and FIRST in Michigan are not responsible for any damages including but not limited to your robot, Samantha module, battery or charger. If you use an alternate battery, it is your responsibility to insure that it can be safely used with the Tetrix electrical components.
When using and charging batteries, always read and follow all safety and use recommendations supplied with the battery and charger. Any questions, please contact Brian Smith, FIRST in Michigan Affiliate Partner - Technical & Equipment Support, at email@example.com.