2016-17 MDE FIRST Robotics Grant Teams (FRC/FTC/FLL/FLL Jr.)
- UIC Reporting Requirement
- If your team was awarded a MDE state grant in the 2016-17 season, there is a reporting requirement that your school must provide the UIC for each student on the team. The UIC is the unique identifying code that the MDE assigns to each student. Your school district will have this information. Here is background info on the requirement from the MDE that you pass along to your school: https://drive.google.
com/file/d/ 0B2wyGbGDpzobNjV5Z3FQanA3NnlMb GpKUlNUOGNvZ2xHZmpB/view?ts=59 3559fd
- Please send your district a list of your team members so that they can pull the UIC's for each student and send it to the MDE. Note that only the UIC's will be sent to the MDE, not the student names. Please review the steps linked here and feel free to share with your district: MDE Grant UIC Upload Process. Note that the FIRST Team Registration System (STIMS) was reset in early May in preparation for the 2017-18 season. As a result, 2016-17 team rosters cannot be pulled from that source.
- SCECHs - Reminder that the MDE does provide SCECH’s for FIRST Robotics Coaches. You can get all the information you need at http://www.techplan.org/pro
fessional-development/first- robotics-sb-ceu/. Logs are due by the end of the month.
- Please contact Amanda Stoel with any questions. email@example.com
2017-18 FTC Kickoff
FTC season kickoff will be on which is when the new game FIRST Relic Recovery will be fully revealed. Save the date and look for details on our kickoff events (many with workshops) going on around the state. It's a great chance to network with area teams, pick up some new skills, hone some old ones, and see the season's game up close and personal!
FTC Kickoff Locations (to date): ; these events will all feature a game reveal i.e. FIRST Relic Recovery game elements on display.
- Kettering University
- Ann Arbor (UofM): Please fill out this interest survey to help with the planning process 2017 FAMNM FTC Kickoff Interest Survey
FIRST Mentor Camp
Registration is now open for the 2017 FIRST Mentor Camp: https://www.eventbrite.
com/e/2017-first-mentor-camp-r egistration-34991336028. Feel free to invite others! Contact Andrew Spiece for any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archive of past team eblasts: http://michiganftc.
- ALIGNMENT: In Michigan, we run a slightly different progression of programs from FIRST national. In Michigan, FTC is a middle school only program with teams comprised solely of MI middle school aged/grade team members. Teams must be properly aligned in order to be eligible for FiM FTC grants and to participate in FiM FTC events.
- TEAM SIZE: FTC team size is capped at 15. Multiple teams out of a given school/organization are welcome and can be eligible for all grants. Please review grant requirements in above linked doc.
- REGISTER YOUR TEAM FOR 2017-2018. VETERANS - remember that FTC team numbers are retained from year to year. Do not register your veteran team as a new team! Register with your veteran team number. Visit the MI FTC Team List for all 2016-17 team numbers.
- QUALIFIERS: Teams that complete their season registration before will be guaranteed two qualifier event spots in the 2017-18 regular season event structure. The FIRST reg. system date/time stamps all registrations. Participation in one is mandatory for all teams accepting FIRST, FIRST in Michigan, MDE, Sponsor specific grants. Playing in a 2nd event gives a team a chance to apply all they've learned at their first event (plus it's fun!).
- UPDATE TEAM CONTACTS. Remember to have matriculating team contacts invite their replacements before moving programs. If I'm still a contact for your team from the 16-17 season, PLEASE invite a replacement! I currently get the same FIRST FTC note 23 times!! See the Team Registration doc linked above for the "who can invite whom" pecking order.
- APPLY FOR FIRST FTC TEAM GRANT. The FIRST FTC national Team Grant is open for submissions. All teams should apply for this grant. For rookie teams - applying for this grant is a requirement of the FiM FTC Rookie Team Grant. Remember to WAIT on your team's award decision BEFORE completing any purchases on the FTC Storefront. FIRST national grants can only be directly applied via the FTC Storefront.
- This grant waives the $275 FIRST FTC registration fee and, for rookies, provides for $475 towards the team's Kit of Parts purchase through the FTC Storefront. The FIRST in Michigan FTC Rookie Team Grant works in conjunction with the FIRST FTC national Team Grant to fully cover a newly forming MI middle school FTC team's reg. fee plus start up kit costs. Details to apply for both are in the FiM FTC Grants and Application Procedures doc linked above.
- SEASON EVENTS. We are looking at possibly needing 25 qualifiers this season. Past hosts that haven't signed on yet, we'd love to have you back! Any interested new hosts out there, send a note to email@example.com with your interest. The event fee ($100 per team for qualifiers) is the basis for an event's budget.
- CURRICULUM. This free curriculum can be used as a stand-alone course or as a supplement to areas where the team needs extra support. FTC Curriculum